Friday, December 12, 2008

Choose Joy #9... strangers so sweet!

I love when you meet someone for the first time and they are so nice to you. I don't mean nice as in polite, but nice in a genuine way. I have had this horrible kink in my shoulder muscle that has been causing me pain and now shooting pain up through my neck and it is unbearable. I am almost positive it is from cashiering every day for two weeks straight... so today it is even worst because I had my right arm cashiering for 5 hours at work. I didn't want to do anything when I got home besides sleep, but I knew I had to go support my brother-in-law at his basketball game. So I took a nap and woke up right before we had to leave. Long story short, I met a mom of one of the boys on Zeke's team and she was really sweet. I told her about how my shoulder was killing me (and PJ even put a therma pack on it that was given to me from my dad in case of an emergency) so out of no where she starts rubbing it. I was so happy because my mom doesn't do massages and PJ doesn't really know how to give good ones. She asked if it was ok and I said, ah YES!!! =) As we watched the game, she let me lean against her knees so I didn't have to slump over and she rubbed my neck and shoulder every once in a while like a good mom should. It was really nice of her to give such "motherly" care on someone she just met. It is people like her that bring joy to my life and make me realize that there are good people out there and we should always return the favor. My challenge is to be kind to a stranger you meet and try and make their day. Especially for the holidays, there are so many bitter and cranky people out there... we need to make the best of each day! Spread the joy... be kind, rewind!

2 comments:

Sherry said...

I know it wasn't better than me though! Right...? =]

SavedbyGrace said...

That was really sweet of her. You should send her a card with a little bottle of lotion or something. Another thing you could do is tilt your head to one side and have pj run his hand from up on your neck down to you shoulder applying preasure. That helps stretch it out and loosens it up!